Sunday, December 16, 2007

Save the Children

It's weird how people justify beating kids. You hear this, "Yea, Daddy took a belt to me. But those were times." Yea, they used to throw Jews and gypsies in the oven. But those were the times. When women spoke their minds, they were set of fire. It was the fashion.

There was just a big newspaper report: the agency in charge of protecting abused kids lost eight children in New York City the last 12 months. On their watch, eight children died in New York City. Not bad! Only eight kids in all of New York City? If I were in charge of that agency, I'd say, "We have to do better. We must do better. But good work, people." No, don't get me wrong. It's tragic. But in every job there's going to be error. I mean, baseball players who are paid 50 million dollars are allowed to miss 8 out of 10 at bat. But these 20k-a-year case workers who go into these homes and are practically shot at, we expect to be perfect.

I mean, how would I like my work mistakes to be splattered on the cover of the New York Post? In the last 12 months, Hilary Schwartz: 5,841 typos.

No comments: